Friday, March 4, 2011

When Life Hands You Lemons

There's something about this time of year.  The season seems to say "Wake Up!"  I find myself a little more enegized.  Housework doesn't seem like such a chore.  In fact, it's a pleasure to care for the home that sheltered me so beautifully through the long, dark Winter.  Funny enough I find my senses wake up and start to crave lemons.  I must not be the only one because the magazines are full of their images and ideas for cooking and cleaning with them.

 
So the question is, "What will it be?  Lemon Cumin Tea Cookies? Lemon Coconut Bars?  Limoncello?"  Yes, it will!  I'm almost done with my Trader Joe's Lemon Thins, and I do so enjoy cookies and tea.  Then again as Rachel would say, "Mom, you think EVERYTHING would be good with a cup of tea!"
Considering how many lemons I have on hand I will start with the Lemon Cumin Tea Cookies and move onto the Lemon Coconut Bars. 

Sara Raven's Lemon Cumin Tea Cookies

Cream 1 stick butter (unsalted) & 1 1/2 cup sugar until light and fluffy.
Gradually beat in 2 egg yolks, finely grated zest of 2 lemons and 4Tbspn.s of juice, and 2 teaspoons of Cumin.
Sift together 2 1/4 cups flour and 1 teaspoon baking soda.  Fold into wet mixture.
Place dough onto waxed paper and roll into 2" cylinder.  Freeze until hard, 1 to 2 hours.

Then preheat oven to 350  and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.  Cut 1/4" slices and place onto sheet allowing space for spreading.  Bake 8 to 10 minutes until firm to touch.  Cool on wire rack.
*
I'm sure Brad is wondering "What on Earth are we going to do with all these sweeties in the house?," but I'm actually planning on sending a Birthday Box to someone special who just happens to have a love affair with the little darlings.  Then, once I pop into our local Kings for 10 LEMONS, I can give Limoncello a try.  It needs to set for awhile so it should be ready by the time I board a plane for Texas in April.  Now, how to get the stuff through security?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The cookies were heavenly! What a wonderful birthday surprise. Query: your first TX visit has come and gone, and where was that limocello? :D Al

Missy :) said...

It's in my fridge! Do I trust Nanny to drive some home to you?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...