Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentines Day!

I'm celebrating Valentines Day by cooking a, hopefully, favorite meal for my husband and children (not so much?).  Pulled Pork Bar-B-Q sandwiches, homemade coleslaw, sweet and sour beans, and vanilla strawberry cake with ice cream for desert. 

ALSO, I wanted to offer this little Valentine's Keepsake Tutorial for you friends in blogland.

Start by crocheting a heart.  I used natural hemp cord because I thought it's earthiness made a good juxtaposition to the heart's frilliness.
Using a size H/8 5.00mm hook
  • Chain 2.
  • Row 1: 2 single crochet (sc) in first chain. Chain 1, turn.
  • Row 2: 2 sc in first stitch, 1 sc in next stitch. Chain 1, turn.
  • Rows 3 to 6: 2 sc in first stitch, 1 sc in each remaining stitch. Chain 1, turn.
  • After row 6, you will have 7 stitches.
  • Row 7: Skip first stitch. In second stitch: 1 half double crochet, three double crochet, 1 half double crochet. Skip one stitch, slip stitch in next stitch. Skip one stitch. In next stitch: 1 half double crochet, three double crochet, 1 half double crochet. Skip one stitch, slip stitch in next stitch.
I just love this simple heart, but wanted to add a little embelishment.  I do like to layer texture and color!  So I got out my handy dandy Yo Yo maker and scraps of fabric from a bag I sewed for Rachel.
And Voila!  Layers of loveliness!
Just have to add one last little punch of GREEN

from some little GREEN buttons off a favorite shirt that I ripped.  I do love reusing my favorite things (cue Julie Andrews!).

The possibilities are endless. You can adorn this little sweet heart to your choosing.  Here's another idea:

Quite a nice addition to the Valentine's Altar.  I will be bringing these keepsakes to a Valentine's Exchange at our Handwork Circle on Thursday, so perhaps there will be time to embelish some more?  I hope you enjoy a very Happy Heart Day!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, can't wait for Thursday....Happy Valentine's Day! xoxo Nicole

Allison said...

Hi Melissa,

Thanks for finding me! I can't believe you read the first posts of my blog. I haven't looked back at those in so long, but your comment prompted me to. It's amazing to see how far I've come and all the crafty things I've made since then.

Your new blog is wonderful. You'll have lots of crafty things to look back at! Cute hearts, by the way.

Allison

Melissa said...

Thank you for stopping by Allison and your kind words. It means a lot to me! Hope you and hubby had a great Valentines :]

Melissa said...

Ha! Nicole, thank you for your Valentines wishes. The day got better after I saw you in Yoga, THANK YOU for listening :] Sorry if I spoiled your surprise for Thursday, now I'm going to have to embelish more! So looking forward to our morning together xo xo Melissa

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...