Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Be Careful What You Wish For

Do you ever feel like, "What was I thinking?  Why did I want this or that?"  I know I have.  But not about this past weekend.  My parents have moved their home of 35+ years, pretty much on their own, and they will be the first to admit they are no Spring Chickens, but boy do they still have it.  My mother and I powered through unpacking her Crystal and China collection, and let me tell you, she loves to collect!  When I showed up she said our job was to unpack the 10 dish boxes (you know the ones that are about as high as your ribcage?) sitting in her Dining Room.  I wonder if today she is thinking, "What was I thinking?"  I sure hope I didn't push too hard, but not only did we get the 10 boxes unpacked, we got 11 boxes unpacked.  Plus the boxes of red dishware stowed in the huge walk-in pantry. Quite an accomplishment.

She was really hoping that we would be able to go through some of the things handed down from my grandparents, and we did.  More specifically, my grandmother's tea cup collection.  My grandmother would bring a cup home from her travels, and her collection was lovely.  I was able to pick out these four:
Grandmother Mercker's Tea Cup Collection
As you can see, they are all rather proper, well loved, English, and they all have Spring flowers on them, heaven!  I sure do look forward to having a Tea Party with them soon.  But perhaps the most valuable take away from the trip was the time spent together, going through her collections, hearing the memories of trips made and family no longer with us.  Time together, priceless!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...