Monday, August 1, 2011

Almost There

Seems like at this point in the summer there is an "almost there" feeling living in our house.  The ball games have been played and watched, swim practices and meets completed, trips taken, visits and visitors enjoyed, barbeque's, fireworks, hikes, bike rides, hammock time.  Whew, need I say more?  And yet there are all these summer projects started that are oh-so-close to completion.

Exhibit #1 - Crocheted Rag Rug

 Exhibit #2 - Refresh/Repaint Kid's Bathroom
Rachel has made me promise the bathroom will be done before school starts in 2 weeks.  It's hard enough getting ready for school at 6 am without mother's work all over!

Exhibit #3 - Mending Pile/Creative Space Sadly Neglected
I've had the best intentions, but, good Lord, need I say more?  Oy!

Exhibit #4 - Almost Full Grown Baby Chick
Yup, there she is hiding in the upper right side portion of the photo.  She has all her mature feathers, except the last little bit around the face.  Makes me think about how the frontal lobe is the last part of the brain to develop in humans (that's where all our reasoning comes from), but that's another subject for another day.  That being said, can't help but draw the correlation between that chick and our own developing teens.  Thank goodness Mother Nature is all over this particular project. I thankfully can just sit back and watch this one out!!

And there we are.  Two weeks and counting before I ship the kids back to school.  It's always such a bittersweet time for me.  For as much as I look forward to having some uninterrupted time during the day (huh - what's that?) at this point I can't quite remember what that felt like and if it felt as good as RIGHT NOW.

I have loved this summer with my children.  They are the ultimate craft project.  I love watching them grow, and it doesn't come without some prodding and support along the way.  So even though time is of the essence, I am going to enjoy all those conversations over the more leisurely breakfasts of summer.  I am going to sit down and watch a little more the shows, movies, and music videos they enjoy.  And conversely, I am going to highly encourage a few more family hikes, bike rides, swims, fireside chats, and dinners on the back porch.

For me, life is sweet.  And time with family is sweetest of all.  It doesn't come without its messes and share of spills, but the end product is oh so fine.

Exhibit #5 - Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream

A big shout out to Nanny and a bigger THANK YOU for our new ice cream maker.  This first batch was a winner!  I can't wait to mix up some Candy Cane Ice Cream over the Christmas holidays with her.

I'm hoping you all make the most of the time that's left in your summers.  Savor it, life is sweet!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...