Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Sweet Sixteen

Oy!  That last post was rather doleful, rather down (I wrote it last week but didn't have the heart to hit the publish post button).  Geeze, could I be a bigger Eeyore?  Have no fear!  I've been rescued by a rather shining spot in our lifes.  Let me introduce you to Rachel:


Our dear Rachel turned sweet 16 last week, and although that saying fits her to a "T," right now this is not what impresses me most about her.  THIS week I had the great good fortune to see her compete in a High School swim meet.  My daughter is not the most competitive of sorts, neither is her brother, neither am I.  So getting her involved in competitive, organized sports has not been easy. Why do it?  I've learned the hard way that everybody needs their niche, their "clan" so to speak.

Let me tell you, what I witnessed floored me.  We had just gotten there when the 50 free heat was starting.  Brad pointed out a swimmer and said, "Is that Rachel?"  We both were taken off guard.  I said, "I don't think so, that girl is a machine.  Look at her chugging through that water."  I'm used to seeing Rachel swim beautifully, gracefully.  This girl was moving as if her life depended on it.  I mean, this girl didn't even come up for air the entire second half length of the pool.

That's when it hit me.  That is Rachey, and look at her go!  Look at her move!  Look at that POWER.  Look at that STRENGTH.  That was the gift.  Witnessing her harness her own power, her own strength.  What a beautiful lesson.  I hope she takes this with her throughout her life, that through her own discipline and committment she could excell.  Through her own diligence she will propel herself through life like she did through that water, as if it were air, as if it were nothing.

I couldn't be more proud of my sweet, thoughtful, caring, STRONG and POWERFUL daughter.  I love you dearly Rachel!  If you read this Rachel, did you know that you inspire me??

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...