Monday, September 12, 2011

Knitting As A Spiritual Practice

It feels great to be back, and feeling almost 100% again.  As always, Mommy Chicken is the last one to catch and recover from the family's colds.  The down time did give me a chance to start a Prayer Shawl for someone special, and pick up one of Max's favorite reads The Hunger Games, fantastic!


I've been curious about these "Prayer Shawls" for some time now and always thought they must be worn when praying.  Sure one could use them that way, much like the Tallits in the Jewish tradition.  However these particular shawls are made WHILE repeating prayers, blessings, hopes, wishes, good intentions, mantras (you catch my drift?) much like Mommy Chicken Prayer Flags.  I love that, don't you?  It's a bit of a longish story how I came about targeting this project, but let's just say it's culminated in my offering a Knitting As A Spiritual Practice class.  Check out the link for more details and to register.  I'd love to have you join me!

This weekend we were also lucky to get a visit from "The Uncles" or "The Brothers," Brad's two siblings, Mark and Ted.
Ted, Mark, and Brad (L-R)
They filled their time as much as possible with football games, meals out, bike rides, and visiting on the back porch (priceless). 

At a family favorite, Brasserie Ten Ten

Rachel, Ted, Brad, Mark and Max (L-R)
Saying goodbye is always tough, especially for Brad and I.  As he so poignantly shared, "You don't think about the repercussions of the decisions you make when you're in your 20's, but you sure do feel them down the road," and sometimes it's tough.  He's referring to the fact that all our siblings and parents live in other states.  How nice it would be for all of us to have each other's support more than on occasion.  Alas, I get melancholy. 

I guess I will sum up by returning to gratitude.  How lucky we are to share the time we do.  Perhaps we value it that much more?  Now I will bid you all adieu until next time, and try to be good to yourselves and one another.  Our choices are all we really have!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...