Thursday, September 29, 2011

Can You Do The Can-Can?

Just when I think I won't go through the hassle, I find myself at it again.  What can I say?  There is something so elementally comforting about the sound of the water bath bubbling, the lids sounding their urgent "pop" when a seal makes itself known.  It brings me such pleasure. I guess I shouldn't be surprised to find myself returning here again and again with every harvest I am blessed with.

This time I found myself tempted by the Junior League of Denver ladies.  They have a unique spin on Peach Jam, unique enough to catch my attention: (if I keep using the word unique it won't be so unique anymore, ugh!)

Spiced Peach Jam

4 cups peeled and finely chopped Peaches
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamin
5 1/2 cups sugar
6 tablespoons liquid fruit pectin

In large pot, mix peaches with spices and bring to a boil.  Add sugar and boil hard for 1 minute.  Remove from heat and add pectin.  Stir well and skim off foam.  Pour into hot sterilized jars and seal.

Not only do I love the comforts of canning, the smells from this Jam are amazing.  It smells like Christmas!  This is supposed to make a great ice cream topping when you mix 1 tablespoon of rum with each 1/2 cup jam.  Ho ho ho!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...