Monday, July 4, 2011

Freedom is not Free

Happy Fourth everyone!  Today seems like as good a day as any to express my gratitude to the servicemen and women who work so hard to ensure our everyday freedoms.  Thank you for serving our country so selflessly so that we might be able to live our lives according to our own choosing.


I've never considered myself an overly patriotic sort.  In fact, I've shyed away from most conventionality (hence I live in Boulder).  But, I was proven wrong this Summer during our family trip back East.  I was amazed to find myself overcome with emotion as we landed in DC and Reagan International Airport.  What a sight to be greeted by the National Mall and Memorials while descendeding along the Potomac River.  And that was just the start!

We were lucky enough to find Tim and his Walk of the Town at the corner of 15th and Pennsylvania.  If you ever find yourself in DC between a Wednesday and Saturday, do not miss this man!  He taught History in the Maryland school district for over 33 years and was very engaging and entertaining.  For over three hours he regaled us with story upon story of the area and the people who have inhabited it. 

Capitol Building

One of my favorite stories is about the Statue of Freedom on the top of the Capitol building.  She stands over 19 feet tall.  In fact, she is the tallest statue in town, the highest point in DC, and she faces East.  Best of all, there is a saying that "The Sun Never Sets on the Face of Freedom in Washington, DC."

Korean War Memorial

No trip to DC would be complete without a stop of a more personal nature.  On our way out of town, we visited my father's childhood residence just miles away.  I had no idea my dad grew up right next to this incredible place.  All I ever remembered was the nearby playground, my grandparents home, and the National Zoo.  After visiting as an adult I have such a better appreciation and understanding of my dad's passion for politics.  It's in his blood!

3510 Runnymeade Ct., DC
I am so grateful for this trip and for so many of the everyday belssings I enjoy.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...