Sunday, August 7, 2011

You've Got To Know When to Hold Them, Know When to Fold Them

This weekend we had the pleasure (?!) of sitting down with our teen daughter and creating a "social contract."  Oy!  Painful but necessary.  Thank goodness my husband is a very seasoned contract negotiator.  As he says, "everybody has to get something of what they want, otherwise why come to the table?"

The teen years are hard to negotiate, especially in Boulder, CO where you have a LARGE University walking distance to the High School.  Everything and more is available to our teens, and its a big job to help them navigate their way.  As some of you may remember, we had a crash course in this at the beginning of the summer.  We're hoping this "social contract" will provide just the sort of guidelines and incentives to help our gal.

Rachel has Purple Nails, I have Pink!

One thing I discovered this summer was how nice it was to get our nails done together.  We've done this in the past, but ordinarily I'm in the chair (I like pedicures) while she sits across the way.  Nice nails, but not a whole lot of connecting.  This past week we both went for manicures.  Holy Moly!  This was better than any family counseling.  I heard more about her and her friends than I ever have.  At last!  I think I'm onto something.  Therefore, as an incentive for good behaviour and following house rules, she and I will be getting monthly manicures. 

And that is about all for now.  It was a big part of our weekend, which is not over yet.  There is a Little League Barbecue to look forward to (and prepare for - Lemon Bunt Cake, Green Bean Salad), but I'm just glad to have tackled that difficult task.

BTW - I did finish painting the kids' bath and it looks amazing!  For those interested, the paint I used was Behr Celtic Gray 490E.




I wish you all a wonderful week!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...